Going into the mountains is all about meeting the challenges of the terrain and conditions with creative solutions. The gear we choose to pack—or not pack—for a big day out can be the difference between an enjoyable outing and a total sufferfest.
Last week we covered how to pack the essentials for a day of backcountry touring, and this week we’re taking it a step further with the technical gear for big mountain skiing and riding.
Here’s what mountain guide Zahan Billimoria carries in his pack for high-alpine missions. This kit list is by no means a prescription for what everyone else should do, but it works for Z, and it’s meant to serve as an example.
Have any thoughts, questions, or additional items? Hit us up in the comments below!
Z's Big Mountain Kit List:
- Wolverine Snow Products Selkirk Sticks poles
- Petzl Gully Axe (with hammer) or Ice Rock IDOL 50 cm ice axe
- Petzl Leopard crampons or Petzl Irvis Hybrid crampons (depending on conditions)
- Petzl Rad Line 6mm (20- or 40-meter length)
- Petzl Altitude Harness
- Hardware: Whatever the mission requires! Could include:
- Petzl Reverso belay device
- Petzl SM’D Screw Lock Carabiners (x5)
- Sterling Rope Hollow Block
- Double-length nylon sewn sling
- Dyneema sewn slings
- Various 6-7 mm cordelettes
- Ultralight knife
- Assortment of Bugaboo and Lost Arrow pitons, stoppers, and a carabiner with athletic tape on the spine (for rappel anchors)
- Julbo Shield sunglasses
- Hestra Ergo Grip Incline 5-Finger gloves
- Roll-top stuff sack
- Patagonia Houdini Air jacket
- Patagonia Nano Air jacket
- Patagonia 30L Decensionist Pack
When you buy something using the links above, we might get a small commission that helps us keep producing content like this. Thank you!